As everyone was moving to the other side of the Centre to ignite those sparkles, she sat in her wheelchair waiting for people to disperse before wheeling herself to the other side. Looking at how frail she is, I walked up and gave her her wheels a little push.
This 90 year old angel, a face that tells a story of life's hardship and pain yet never gave up living. As i passed her the stick of sparkle, she grinned from ear to ear. Her eyes became a single line, flashing her toothless jaws and waving the stick in the air till the sparks disappeared. There was no apprehensiveness in her. It was as if she had returned to her childhood days.
After the event, I offered to send her back home and told I would like to visit her again. She asked me not to go to her home, as she has a mentally unsound daughter. My heart sank... As I was wheeling her home, she held my hands and thanked me for sending her home. That gentle touch warmed my heart. We reached her place, I wanted to see her in before leaving but she insisted that she'll go in after we take our leave. I turned back to see if she had went in but she kept waving at us...
Her smile, her touch never left me alone...
Friday, August 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment