Thursday, June 12, 2008

Definition...

I start to wonder, what's the real definition of Marketing and is there a distinctive difference between Marketing and Sales. I also wonder why do charity organisations out source their their marketing to agencies and not handle it internally.

I came a cross a job ad that states recruitment for Charity Marketing Executive, the job description mentioned about fundraising, creating awareness for the NGOs, etc and I thought it's a job pretty much fits my bill. Been through my first round of (a weird) interview, with another interviewee and the company's MD. Got a call to come for the 2nd interview which I was told it would be for 3hrs and a trainer will be assigned to me, it puzzled me.

Today I finally went for it. Didn't have any good vibes initially but (what the hack) I just go and look see. There was really a trainee instructor assigned to evaluate me and for my observation. We had to go all the way to Woodlands for her field trip and to explain to me what the entire organisational culture/structure is. To my horror, it was a BLOODY MLM kind of job! I followed her (the trainer) to go knock on doors just to get donors for the X X foundation. WTF,(what the FxxK) i don't need 4 hrs to know & learn that this is actually a D2D (door to door) kind of sales job! I am pissed!!!

I cannot overcome that integrity of fundraising for a NGO and earn commission through it. I start to wonder is it me who has been the naive dumbo all along or has people turn charities into a money making opportunity.

No comments: